Thursday, September 08, 2005

Testy Nelson

Here's an interesting quote from Larry LaRue over at the TNT today:

"How about testy? Someone asked Jeff Nelson if he could remember the last time he’d walked a batter to force in the winning run. He answered only the first half of the question.

“You mean, can I remember the last time I came into the game after seven days off with the bases loaded? No, I can’t,” Nelson said. “I was throwing all fastballs. I didn’t throw sliders because I didn’t have time to throw them in the bullpen …”

Does that mean he wasn’t given time to adequately warm up in the bullpen?

“As far as you know, I was warmed up,” Nelson said.

That’s not likely to sit well with manager Mike Hargrove, who took the loss with a grimace – and Nelson’s quotes with a shake of his head and no comment."

It's high time that Jeff Nelson packed his bags and sought his fortune elsewhere.

Edit: The more I think about this quote, the more irritated I get. It seems clear now that Nelson went into the game predisposed to do less than his best. Whether or not he was poorly used (and I think you can make a good arguement that he was), it's not his place to question the Manager's decisions with the game on the line. I hope that was his last appearance as a Mariner.

No comments: