Friday, December 23, 2005

Weekly Update 12/23/05

As this week ends, I have to give a cautious "thumbs up" to the Washburn deal. I would like it a lot more if it was a 2 year deal - but it's no longer possible to ignore the market reality - you have to overpay if you are going to play. Besides, Washburn has not been all that bad - take a look at Dr. Detecto's analysis here.

I really like the Matt Lawton signing. I'm hoping it's not at the expense of Jeremy Reed. Then again, seeing Ichiro! playing CF on a regular basis does have a certain appeal. Continuing on the possible trade scenarios, I would like to see Gil Meche move on to greener pastures - although I'm not sure what the team would do with Patterson now that Lawton is signed.

The DFA's were not surprising. Glad to see the organization cut ties with the marginal performers who were never going to amount to anything above replacement value and make room for some of the up-and-comers who will amount to something. At least we won't be hearing from Ryan "I never get any run support" Franklin next season (I hope).

I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!!

No comments: