Saturday, August 26, 2006

Signs Of Hope

Too bad the Mariners can't play all of their games against the AL East. After the win last night, the M's are 22-15 against AL East competition this season. In any event, a series win at the expense of the Yankees and two wins to open the Red Sox series bodes well - especially when one thinks in terms of where this team is heading next year. So what do I see as signs of hope for next season?

  • It is a pleasure to watch Chris Snelling play. Whether in the field or at the plate, he exudes confidence. His ability to work the count is awesome - hopefully it will be contagious.
  • Lopez and Betancourt. Not only do they field - they both can hit.
  • The resurgence (well, okay, maybe that's too strong - how about revitalization?) of Adrian Beltre.
  • Minor league surprises named Lowe and O'Flaherty.
  • Ichiro! in CF - let's hope this continues.
  • Raul Ibanez. He just continues to produce.

So you see where I'm going with this. There's plenty to be hopeful for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sentiments regarding what we've seen thus far this year. I think Adrian's return from the dead has been a boon(e) to the lineup. I only wish I had the opportunity to watch Snelling, and enjoy what everyone else is seeing. I read Bob Finnigan's last article in the Times, and though Dave at USSM doesn't agree, I do agree with his sentiment that of all the veteran players on this team, no one seems to want to take a leadership role which I think is desperately needed with so many young players. During the few glory years the team saw, it had players like Buhner, Martinez et al who seemed to me to guide the team through the rough spots. I know we live in a kindler, gentler society, but someone's got to step up and be the man. Though I don't see the team that often, it appears that there's not much camaradrie amongst the players. Maybe it's Grovers fault, Though I felt I have blamed the whole miserable season on him. So I'm probably biased in that respect. The M's have a lot of young players, Beltre among them that have proven they belong in this league, they just need to play alongside one another for a while and establish some team unity, leaders will emerge, and they will challenge for the division once again. I know this sounds gloomy, but I do believe that the glass is 3/4 full and with a few SP's, it could be overflowing.

Larry