Saturday, October 07, 2006

So Long Buck

Buck O'Neil has passed away. I was introduced to Buck by watching the Ken Burns Baseball documentary 12 years ago. Buck was again in the news earlier this year when the HOF snubbed him. Here is what he said regarding that incident:

"You think about this. Here I am, the grandson of a slave. And here the whole world was excited about whether I was going into the Hall of Fame or not. We've come a long ways. Before, we never even thought about anything like that. America, you've really grown and you're still growing."

Rest in peace Buck.

1 comment:

Larry said...

Baseball, what a great sport. Just finished watching the Tigers beat the Yanks, and looks like Alex won't get his ring again this year!!! I think if I was a professional athlete, I would want to be remembered as someone who was loved by all not loathed by all. Regardless of the amount of money I made during my career. The supposed "greatest hitting lineup ever assembled" bowed out to a team that lost 119 2 years ago. Kind of gives me hope for he M's. Though I think Jim Leyland is a far better manager than Grover. How many days till spring training??? With regards to Buck, what a great player who played for the love of the game, and little or no fanfare for the many feats that he accomplished. We need more like him nowadays. Rest in Peace Buck.

Larry