Monday, March 19, 2007

A Season Of Ifs

Going into the 2007 campaign, there are many ifs surrounding the Mariners. One of the biggest ifs to me is if Felix Hernandez will become the number one starter that we all have been hoping for. So far this Spring, the results are mixed. Check out Geoff Baker's latest blog entry - he seems to share some of my concern. Yesterday's appearance by The King did remind me of quite a few of his outings last year - too many pitches early and out by the 5th. Not a winning combination.

Edit: By the way, be sure and check out this bit of hilarity from the irrepressible Jeff Sullivan.

4 comments:

Larry said...

I would imagine that the learning curve for most pitchers in the bigs is a little steep, but I have tremendous hope that the steepest part of the curve is behind him, and it's on to bigger and better things. I'm actually a little concerned about the Bullpen as they all seem a little shaky this season. Vidro looks good so far (stats wise), and the jury is still out on Guillen. Hopefully he'll show us that the past injuries are behind him. It still bothers me that Sexson will be hitting in the middle of the lineup, and snuffing out all those potential runs with the old GIDP. Hopefully Ibanez has a big year in front of Sexson, and we only have to worry about one out. Cutting him loose, and bringing up Lahair from Tacoma might be an option mid season if he can't produce.

Larry

Iron Tech said...

Yeah - I think the bullpen is the biggest concern right now. Looks like the starters will generally be okay - and this team will definitely score more runs than last year's group.

Larry said...

Your thoughts on leaving Rivera behind and taking Burke North. Burke has had a great spring thus far (hitting) not sure about other aspects of his game, but it would be nice to have a catcher off the bench that hits better than his weight.

Larry

Iron Tech said...

I'd rather take my chances with Burke.