Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Losing My Faith As A Baseball Fan

Mercifully for all of us who follow the Mariners, the debacle that was 2008 is over. This season has certainly been a disappointing one for me on many levels – but the most stinging disappointment has come in the form of losing my faith as a baseball fan.

I’ve been a baseball fan for many years (I’m well north of 50) and this is the first Summer that I can remember where I was totally and completely disinterested in the game. Mariner games used to be front and center on TV at my house. We always went to at least 2 games in Seattle every season. Not this year. I didn’t see a game on TV since early June. We did not make a trip to Safeco this year. And I didn’t miss it. At all. And that is sad. I feel like I have lost a dear friend. And in many ways I have.

What will happen next year? I really don’t know. I suppose that some killer moves over the Winter might entice me back. But I don’t think it is a certainty. The future of the blog is an uncertainty as well. I feel bad that I have not written more this year. We’ll see what happens in the Spring – when hope springs eternal!

1 comment:

Larry said...

Enjoy the offseason, take a few deep breaths and see what happens between October and March. I have been a fan of Pacific Northwest Sports since I was a kid growing up in Bremerton, especially Sonics basketball. Now the loss of the Sonics will prevent me from enjoying the NBA probably forever. The demise of the huskies keeps me from enjoying College Football, and of course the downward trend in Mariner baseball has put a damper on my baseball enthusiasm, but I think baseball has a special place in my heart, and don't know that I would give it up completely. Besides, every spring I get that old feeling that something special could possibly happen. (guess I might as well be a cubbie fan). Enjoy your time off, and hope the family is doing well.

Regards,

Larry